Monday, January 12, 2009

Why I Cry at Sappy Commericals

is a notion I have pondering lately. I don't think I'm a very sentimental person, and certainly not an overly sensitive person but the sight of an old couple walking in the park or a newborn baby is enough to turn on the water works. What gives?

I think its the same kind of feeling you get when a friend tells you about a skanky girl at work and about her date that wouldn't put the phone down during your date. Or it could be overhearing the conversation of a couple who came back from wedding ring shopping. I project! I have no hesitation to get horrified by the skanky girl, or pissed at the phone boy or even feel a bit of longing at the wedding ring twins. In reality those things mean so little to me but its the mental projection of how I would feel in the exact situation. Which is why I want to write to De Beers, Pampers and those awful anti-smoking companies to stop preying on my fragile feelings while I'm passively watching TV at night. Same goes for friends, there is only so much you can digest of what your friends or a loved one tells you before you have formed your own opinions on the matter.

In my experience, less is more. You don't need your best friend to be projecting their feelings on your fight with boyfriend about which restaurant you want to go to or about who should clean the living room. I can't tell you how many girls have taken the wrath of their friends over the simple act of complaining. Save it and watch some TV, you'll at least be able to focus on some escapist feelings for once.

1 comment:

  1. Webster's New World dictionary word of the year, "overshare" - check it out!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMcVd6h8iQI

    ReplyDelete